Stepping Stones of the Pacific
Jeju ISLAND • 2010
Jeju Island is called the Island of Peace. The Stepping Stones of the Pacific Park on Jeju Island was built in the heat of the summer just before the rainy season in July 2010. The park was constructed by 27 students from Yantai, Jeju Island, Seogwipo, Vladivostok, Puerto Princesa, and San Diego.
Stepping Stones sits at the edge of the ocean looking out to the sea and future; the park has is back against the mountains commemorating the past and the painful memories of war. On the east side of the park a spiral contains a sculpture of the grandmother stone connected to the sea. On the west side of the park an earth mound with a stone courtyard faces the Pacific, with a large pearl placed as a gift to the future.
This park was built in conjunction with the Jeju Special Self-Governing Province, the Jeju International Council and a number of other organizations and people of good will who contributed to make this park a reality; their contributions are enshrined in stones at the park’s entry.
- Jeju Special Self-Governing Province
- Citizen Association of the Island of World Peace
- Jeju International Council
- Jeju National University
- City of Seogwipo
- Ilan Lael Foundation
- Mission Valley Rotary of San Diego
- Hayng Yan University, Seoul
- Dankook University, Seoul
- University of California in San Diego International Relations of Pacific Studies Program
- Far-Eastern State Technical University, Vladivostok
- Yantai University
- Iberoamericana, Insituto Tecnologico, Tijuana